Monday, June 29, 2026

Memories

These are some of my memories of cats I’d like to share…



I think I am eight years old in this photo; I’m not sure. I am holding Goldie, and Tansy is laying in front of me. In all my childhood pictures, I am never holding dolls or stuffed toys. I am always holding cats. They’re larger than me. I’m surprised they tolerated it. LOL



This is Gulliver. We called him Gulliver because he loved to travel. In Alaska, he would hop into the UPS truck and the driver took him on his routes and then brought him back at the end of the day. He and I had such a bond that when we first moved to Oregon. One of the first things he did was run up a Heritage tree; he was way up there. Michael called me to tell me that he was up in the tree and I ran outside. I couldn’t even see him. He was so high up. Without even thinking about it, I yelled up at him “Gulliver, please come down!”


Well, he came down all right: he jumped! He landed on me with such force. I was knocked to the ground, and he landed on my face. He scratched my face so bad and then he scampered off and went into the barn. I guess to decompress.


Michael took one look at me and brought me inside and did his first aid magic to try to help me. Then he told me he was taking me to dinner. I put a hat on I wore sunglasses. I had long sleeves on even though it was summertime and hot. 


We went to the restaurant and I excused myself and went into the bathroom to see how bad it was and to try to see if I could clean it up a bit. This elderly woman, she looked like she was going to church, the way she was dressed. She came out of the stall and saw me in the mirror; her face was just priceless. I mean, she just couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She went to wash her hands and was still watching me in the mirror. Then, after she was done, she came up to me and she whispered in my ear, “If I were you, I’d leave the bastard!” And then she left the bathroom. Lol! I doubt she would’ve believe me if I told her a cat did it!



Michael kitty-sitting. In his lap are “The Trips” (Triplets):  Winkin’, Blinkin’ and Noddy.



Prowler. She lived in the rafters of our barn for a year before she decided to trust us. When she finally came down, we discovered she was a polydactyly. She was an amazing kitty. I called her my ambassador. She would take off during the day and she would always come home with an injured kitten or a cat who needed help. Completely unbelievable; she was amazing. I lost her to a cat-food recall. I even took her to a feline center and the vets tried so hard to save her. When they opened her up for the necropsy, they found all of these alien, looking tumors and bumps all over her organs. It was so sad; she was such a beautiful, wonderful cat.



Massey.



This is me. I have Kabota in my lap. We used to refer to him as Tractor Butt. He was one of Fern’s kittens. His sister, Shredder, is also tucked into my lap.



We called these girls the Triplets: Winkin’, Blinkin’, and Noddy. When they were just days old, someone left them in my mailbox. All three almost died, but they survived and went on to loving homes.



On the left is Nortie; to the right of him is Smudge, and in front is Gulliver.



Whistler.



This is Sly. She got run over by a lawnmower and lost her leg. My vet has a saying that all cats are born with an extra leg. She never missed the missing limb.



This is Fern and her babies. She has a very interesting story. We were out in the knife shop working on some knives. It was raining outside and we had the shop doors open. All of a sudden this cat who we had never seen before comes into the shop. Mike was actually relaxing in his chair and she jumped on his lap and dropped a kitten and turned and ran away! Now mind you we had never seen this cat before. She did this four times. 


Mike and I were just looking at each other baffled at what happened. I grabbed an empty cardboard box and a towel. We carried the kittens in the box to the house. The kitty followed us. We took them all upstairs. Neither Mike nor I picked up Fern. But she followed her family and we put them in the kitten room. We just let them be.


Michael had designed custom screen doors for the stairs, so there was a barrier between the new kittens or cat that arrived and the residential cats inside the house. We were sitting at the table discussing these very strange events and all of a sudden she appeared at the bottom of the stairs and she was squalling. She was desperate to get out. I asked him what he thought I should do and he said, “Let her out. If she doesn’t come home, we’ll just have to bottle feed the kittens.”


I opened the door and she ran straight past me to the back door and sat there and just screamed. I opened the door and I watched her shoot straight back to the creek. I waited for quite a while to see if she would come back, but I didn’t see her.


About 45 minutes had passed, so I went to the back door and I looked out back by the creek and I saw her coming back. But something was wrong. She was walking backward? I grabbed the binoculars and I took a look and I was amazed at what I saw. She was dragging a kitten that was bigger than any of the kittens she had upstairs. I called Mike and we both went out and rescued her. I picked up the kitten and Mike picked up Fern and we put them upstairs where they stayed. She was a great mother. We called the big kitten, Kabota and nicknamed him Tractor Butt. The reason we did that was when they were nursing, he would literally just dive onto her nipple and roll across her stomach and all the other kittens would tumble off of her. It was hysterical and we actually did have to bottle-feed so everybody got their fair share.



Smudge. When we lived in Alaska, I found her at the bottom of our hill, near our garage, and she was frozen in the snow. She was just days old. She spent 14 days at the vets and turned around and became the most awesome cat we have ever had. She traveled with us everywhere. She loved to ride in the truck, the motorhome, the boat; she just loved to travel. When we moved down here to Oregon, we had five cats and four dogs in our 35-foot motorhome. She was one of the cats.


When she acclimated to our new home, she loved to just lay out in the front yard on the driveway and catch sun. At that time we had trees that were bordering the front of our properties so the highway wasn’t as busy and active as it is now, and she never went near that road. 


Mike and I were out in the pasture building the horse-fence and we hadn’t built our regular fence around our house yet. The horses came first. I happened to glance out at the driveway and I saw this car coming in. I didn’t recognize. I started walking towards the front yard. It’s quite a distance about a football length distance where we were starting the horse-fence from the yard. As I got closer, this woman got out of the car. She was dressed like a church woman. She was immaculately dress she was elderly. She had heels on and pearls. She looked like she was going to Bible study. She started walking towards Smudge and something about this. Just really hit me, as there’s something wrong.


I started running and when I got there, I asked her what she was doing. She was bent over and she was snapping her fingers trying to get Smudge to come to her. She just said that this was a beautiful cat and wanted to see it. I told her to leave. Something about her something about this whole situation just made me feel very uneasy. I picked up Smudge and put her in the house and watch this woman leave our property.


A few days later, she came back. Again we were out in the pasture working on the fence. I noticed her I dropped everything I took off in a run by the time I got to the front driveway she was gone with Smudge.


I ran in the house, grab my keys, jumped in my truck and followed her. I could see Smudge just freaking out in her car as much as she loved to travel there was something she didn’t like about this woman. One of the windows was opened not very far. But far enough for Smudge to jump out. I saw the car in the other lane hit her and I screamed so loud. I pulled into the center lane and jumped out of my truck and by the time I got to her, she was gone.


I found out later after doing some research that there was an animal research lab in Corvallis that had targeted senior citizens retirement centers, and they were looking for calico cats specifically. They were paying good money and this woman took my cat so that she could have the money.


Smudge is buried in a place of honor underneath our walnut tree. She is loved to this day.



This is Kahuna. He is checking out our latest rescues, which were four baby skunks. Their mom was hit in front of our house. We went out and scoop the babies up so they didn’t get hit as well. They were very small. We bottle-fed them. We would put water in this pool that they had access to. They loved to take baths. Kahuna loved to join them. He was part of a litter of four. I got a call early in the morning by a very angry farmer who is ready to just stick his rifle into his wood pile and blow these kittens to smithereens. I got over there so fast. I think I was even wearing my slippers when I got there. Some people just need to take a chill pill.



This is Scatter and Bacardi, Kahuna’s brother and sister. The tuxedo kitty is Tumbles. Tums was actually thrown down the stairs by his drunk owner. He had some injuries to his back legs that made him walk funny, but he was a wonderful kitty.



Twirl. After I trapped her and let her out, and after she was spayed, she twirled around my ankles and wouldn’t stop. That’s how she got her name. She succumb to squamous cell carcinoma, which invaded the tips of her ears. They did remove her tips, but unfortunately, that pisses off the cancer and it came back with a vengeance, so I had her euthanized.


…So many cats, so much personality, so much love. Thank you for allowing me to share them with you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what memories. The story of Fern was astonishing. The bigger kitten must have been an orphan she'd found. (He was one lucky cat.) And for her simply to decide that you and Michael were the humans to take care of the whole family - that was a perceptive feline. Smudge's story was sad and tragic. That old lady would have regretted it if I'd caught up with her.

    ReplyDelete